Information on state recommendations:
Disease management – Predominant diseases and their control measures
Major diseases of maize in Bihar.
- Turcicum leaf blight
- Maydis leaf blight
- Fusarium stalk rot
- charcoal rot
- Banded leaf and sheath blight
- Common rust
- Add Trichoderma harzianum formulation 2.0% WP in furrows at the time of sowing prior mixing with FYM @ 10 g/kg FYM & incubated for 10 days in moist condition for Charcoal rot (Post flowering stalk rot).
- Seed treatment with Trichoderma harzianum 2.0% WP @ 20 g/kg of seeds for control of Rhizoctonia solani f. sp. sasakii (Banded leaf & sheath blight).
- Combined application of mustard & tobacco dust @ 2.5q/ha (ETL – 2 cyst/g of soil) for cyst nematode.
- Application of Trichogramma chilonis @ 1,60,000/ha. on 7 and 15 days old crop onwards at weekly interval for various pathogens.
- Need based and judicious application of fungicides are most important component of integrated pest management.
- Seed treatment with Thiram 75% WS @ 25 to 30 g/kg seed.
- Seed treatment with fungicide Metalaxyl-M 31.8% ES @ 2.4 ml/kg of seed in the endemic areas of downy mildew.
- Foliar Spray at first appearance of leaf blight with Mancozeb 75% WP @ 1.5 to 2 kg/l of water followed by 2 to 4 applications at 10 days interval if needed.
- Spray of Mancozeb 75% WP @ 1.5 to 2 kg/l of water or Zineb 75% WP @ 1.5-2 kg/ha at first appearance of pustule of Polysora rust or Common rust and three sprays of fungicide at 15 days interval are recommended if needed.
- Foliar spray of Mancozeb 75% WP @ 1.5 to 2 kg/l at very first appearance of symptoms of downy mildew.
- Soil drenching of bleaching powder containing 33% chlorine @ 10 kg/ha as at pre- flowering stage if symptoms of bacterial rot appears (Pre flowering).
Pest management – Predominant pests and their control measures
Major insect pests of maize crop in Bihar.
- Maize stem borer
- Shoot fly
- Army worm
- White grub
- Cut worm
- Fall Army worm
- Conservation of naturally occurring biocontrol agents such as Trichogramma chilonis Ishii., Cotesia flavipes Cameron, Carabids, Coccinellids, Chrysoperla, spiders and wasps, etc. and by reducing chemical pesticides.
- Release of Trichogramma chilonis @ 1,60,000 /ha. on 7 and 15 days old crop and subsequently if required.
- Granular application of Carbofuran 3% CG @33.3kg/ha in whorls of infested plants to control stem borer, shoot fly and thrips.
- Spray of Carbaryl 85% WP @ 1764 g/l against borer at 15-18 days after germination.
- Spray Monocrotophos 36% SL @ 625 ml/ha or Dimethoate 30% EC @ 1155 ml/ha or Oxydemeton – methyl 25% EC @ 1000 ml/ha or Phorate 10% CG @ 30 Kg/ha for the management of shoot fly.
- Spray Coragen @ 0.4 ml/l and Imamactin benzoate @ 0.5-0.75 gm/l of water.
- Spot application of fepronil @2-3 granules /plant and application of Chlorpyrifos 20% EC@25kg/ha for control of termites.