Nurturing Diversity, Resilience, Livelihood & Industrial Inputs
Designation: Scientist- Sr. Scale (Biochemistry)
Qualification: M.Sc. in Biochemistry from CCS Haryana Agricultural University, Ph.D. in Biochemistry from CCS Haryana Agricultural University, Hisar
Address: ICAR-Indian Institute of Maize Research PAU Campus
Mobile: +91 8810469191
• Scientist (SS) from July 09, 2018 till date: Indian Institute of Maize Research, Ludhiana (India)
• Scientist (SS) from June 20, 2017 to July 07, 2018: NBPGR, New Delhi
• Scientist (SS) from Feb.10, 2015 to June 19, 2017: CIPHET, Abohar
• Scientist (Biochemistry) from Nov. 17, 2011 to Feb. 09 2015: CIPHET, Abohar
• Scientist (Biochemistry) from June 20,2009 to 16 Nov.16 2011: Indian Agricultural Research Institute (India)
• Scientist (Biochemistry) from 10 Feb. 2009 –09 June, 2009: National Academy of Agricultural Research Management (India)
Area of interest: To do quality analyses of maize kernel
Most significant achievements (in last five years)
• Developed a methodology to control enzymatic browning
Publications (last five years):
A. Research papers
1. Meena, VS., Mahawar, MK., Jalgaonkar, K., Bhushan, B., Bibwe, B., Kashyap P. (2020) Optimization of process variables for preparation of Pomegranate juice fortified aonla candy. Current Science. 118(1):114-118.
2. Bhushan, B., Kumar Satish, Mahawar, M.K., Jalgaonkar, K., Dukare, A., Bibwe, B., Meena, V.S., Negi, N., Narwal, R.K., Pal, A. (2019). Nullifying phosphatidic acid effect and controlling phospholipase D associated browning in litchi pericarp through combinatorial application of hexanal and inositol. Scientific Reports (NATURE Publishing Group). DOI: 10.1038/s41598-019-38694-5. PMID: 30787348
3. Singh, J., Nangare, DD, Meena, VS, Sabir, N., Bhushan, B., Bhatnagar P.R.(2019) Influence of different insect net houses on tomato plant growth, pest infestation and fruit quality in semi-arid region. Annals of Plant Protection Sciences. 27: 54-60
4. Dukare, A., Kumar, S., Kumar, R., Bhushan B., Jalgaonkar K, Meena, VS, Mahawar MK, Bibwe B (2019) Cross pathogenicity of Botryodiplodia theobromae, an original isolate from gauava fruit on the different cultivars of mango. International Journal of Chemical Studies. 7(2): 450-454
5. Pal A, Bhushan B٭, Narwal RK and Saharan V (2018). Extraction and evaluation of antioxidant and free radical scavenging potential correlated with biochemical components of red rose petals. Iran. J. Sci. Technol. Transactions A: Science (SPRINGER). 42(3) 1027-1036
6. Mahawar, M., Jalgaonkar, K., Bibwe, B., Kulkarni, T., Bhushan, B. and Meena, V. (2018) Optimization of mixed aonla-guava fruit bar using response surface methodology, Nutrition & Food Science, 48(4): 621-630.
7. Meena, VS., Kale, S., Mahawar, MK., Jalgaonkar, K., Bhushan, B., Bibwe, B. and Dukare, A. (2018) Optimisation of button mushroom browning inhibition using response surface methodology. Indian J. Hort. 75 (3): 470-474.
8. Kumar Satish, Krishnani KK, Grammopadhay S, Bhushan B, Vadivel R (2018) Phylogenetic analysis of diverse uncultured eubacterial groups from saline-alkaline soil of basaltic terrain in western Maharashtra, India. Research Journal of Biotechnology. 13(11): 1-11
9. Pal A, ٭Bhushan B, Saharan V and Sidhu RS (2018) Compositional analysis and evaluation of antioxidant potential of fruits of Withania somnifera Dunal. Journal of Advanced Research in Biochemistry and Pharmacology. 2: 7-14.
10. Mahawar, MK; Sharma, A.; Jalgaonkar, K; Bhushan, B; Ghodki, B; Bhushan B; Meena, VS (2018) Mixing of mango and apple pulp for making fruit bar. Beverage and Food World. 45 (11), 23-24.
11. Singh J, ٭Bhushan B, Singh A, Singh DK, Kumar A and Singh SK (2018) Growth inhibitory effect of medicinal plant extracts on insect pests and pathogenic fungi. Journal of Advanced Research in Biochemistry and Pharmacology. 2: 20-27.
12. Mahawar, MK; Jalgaonkar, K; Kumar, M; Meena, VS; Bhushan B (2017) Determination of some physical properties of date palm fruits (CV. khadrawy and medjool). Acta Agrophysica 24 (2), 217-223
13. Pal A, Kumar KH, Bhushan B٭ and Saharan V. (2017) Ashwagandha root extract inhibits acetylcholine esterase, protein modification and ameliorates H2O2-induced oxidative stress in rat lymphocytes. Pharmacog J.; 9(3):302-309.
14. Kazal V, Bhushan B٭, Narwal RK, Kumar Satish, Pal A (2017) Evaluation of salt tolerance in different isabgol (Plantago ovate forsk.) genotypes under differential salt stress imposition. Indian Journal of Agricultural Biochemistry. 30:41-49.
15. Mahawar MK, Jalgaonkar K, Bibwe B, Ghodki B, Bhushan B. (2017) Mathematical modelling and drying kinetics of kinnow and sweet lime peels. International Journal of Chemical Studies. 5:885-888.
16. Jalgaonkar K, Mahawar MK, Bibwe B, Dukare A, Kannaujia P, Bhushan B (2017) Moisture dependent physical properties of Litchi seeds (Litchi chinensis). Gavin Journal of Food and Nutrition Sciences. 27: FDNJ-148. DOI: 10.29011/2575-7091.100048.
17. Mahawar, M., Jalgaonkar, K., Meena, V.S., Nambi, V.E., Bhushan, B. and Kannaujia, P.K. (2017) Influence of particle size on rheological properties of mango peel powder. Indian J. Hort. 74(4): 627-630.
18. Meena, VS, Sharma PC, Yadav VS, Meena RS, Mahawar MK, Bhushan B, Jalgaonkar K and Meena KK. (2017) Development and storage studies of Aonla (Emblica officinalis Gaertn.) based ready to serve (RTS) using different sweeteners. Int J Bioresources and Stress Management. 8: 790-795.
19. Narwal RK, #٭Bhushan, B., Pal, A., Panwar, A. and Malhotra, S. (2016) Purification, physico-chemico-kinetic characterization and thermal inactivation thermodynamics of milk clotting enzyme from Bacillus subtilis MTCC 10422. Lebensmittel Wissenschaft Technologie LWT Food Science and Technology. (ELSEVIER). 65: 652-660.
20. Narwal RK, ٭Bhushan, B., Pal, A. and Malhotra, S. (2016) Optimization of upstream process parameters for enhanced production of thermostable milk clotting enzyme from Bacillus subtilis MTCC 10422. Journal of Food Process Engineering (WILEY), 40(2):E12356
21. Narwal RK, ٭#Bhushan, B., Pal, A., Malhotra, S., Kumar Satish and Saharan V (2016) Inactivation thermodynamics and iso-kinetic profiling for evaluating operational suitability of milk clotting enzyme immobilized in composite polymer matrix. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules (ELSEVIER). 91: 317-328.
22. Pal A, ٭Bhushan B, Kumar Satish and Saharan V (2016) Cost effective fermentation, purification and operational suitability of xylanase from Aspergillus niger KR-3 grown on agricultural by-products. Lignocellulose Journal. 5: 15-33.
23. Bhushan B٭, Pal A, Kumar Satish and Jain V (2015) Biochemical characterization and kinetic comparison of encapsulated haze removing acidophilic xylanase with partially purified free xylanase isolated from Aspergillus flavus MTCC 9390. Journal of Food Science and Technology (SPRINGER) 52: 191-200.
24. Pal A, Kumar M, Saharan V and Bhushan B (2015) Anti-oxidant and free radical scavenging activity of Ashwagandha (Withania sominifera L.) leaves. Journal of Global Biosciences. 4 (1) 1127-1137.
25. Singh A, Bhushan B, Gaikwad K, Yadav OP, Kumar S and Rai RD (2015) Induced defence responses of contrasting bread wheat genotypes under differential salt stress imposition. Indian Journal of Biochemistry and Biophysics 52; 75-85. PMID 26040114. ISSN/E-ISSN 0301-1208; 0975-0959
26. Nangare DD, Singh J, Meena VS, Bhushan B٭, and Bhatnagar PR (2015) Effect of green shade nets on yield and quality of tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum Mill) in semi-arid region of Punjab. Asian Journal of Advances in Basic and Applied Science. 1: 1-8.
27. Bhushan B٭, Pal A, Rajesh, Kumar Satish and Singh A (2015) Evaluation of post-germinative lipid peroxidation and enzymatic antioxidant potential in lead absorbing oat (Avena sativa) seedlings. Journal of Environmental Biology 36: 279-288.
28. Singh, J., Nangare, DD, Meena, VS, Bhushan, B., Bhatnagar P.R. and Sabir, N. (2015) Growth, quality and pest infestation in tomato under protected cultivation in semi-arid region of Punjab. Indian J. Hort. 72(4) 518-522.
29. Bhushan B٭, Pal A and Jain V (2015) Improved enzyme catalytic characteristics upon glutaraldehyde cross-linking of alginate entrapped xylanase isolated from Aspergillus flavus MTCC 9390. Enzyme Research. Article ID 210784. doi:10.1155/2015/210784.
30. Meena VS, Singh J, Poonam and Bhushan B (2015) Comparative study on pomegranate (Punica granatum L. cv. Mridula) under color shade-nets, evaporative cooling and foliar spray of kaolin and borax application in semi-arid region of Punjab. Bhartiya Krishi Anusandhan Patrika. 30(1): 18-22.
B. Review/Popular articles
31. Dukare A, Singh RK, Jangra RK, Bhushan B (2020) Non-Fungicides based promising technologies for managing post-production Penicillium induced spoilage in horticultural commodities: a Comprehensive Review. Food Reviews International (TAYLOR and FRANCIS) doi.org/10.1080/87559129.2020.1727497.
32. Mahawar MK, Jalgaonkar K, Bibwe B, Bhushan B, Meena VS, Sonkar RK (2020). Post-harvest processing and valorization of Kinnow mandarin (Citrus reticulate L.): A Review. Journal of Food Science and Technology (SPRINGER). 57:799-815. DOI:10.1007/s13197-019-04083-z
33. Bhushan B٭, Pal A, Narwal R, Meena VS, Sharma PC and Singh J (2015) Combinatorial approaches for controlling pericarp browning in litchi (Litchi chinensis) fruit. Journal of Food Science and Technology. (SPRINGER) 52 (9): 5418-5426.
34. Kumar Satish, Krishnani KK, Bhushan B٭, and Brahmane MP (2015) Metagenomics: Retrospect and prospects in high throughput age. Biotechnology Research International. Article ID 121735. doi:10.1155/2015/121735.
C. Book chapters
35. Satish Kumar, Bharat Bhushan*, Goraksha Chimaji Wakchure, Mahesh Kumar, Kamlesh Kumar Meena, Nandlal Meena, Jagadish Rane (2020). Plant phenolics under water deficit conditions: Biosynthesis, accumulation and physiological roles in water stress alleviation. In: Plant Phenolics: Volume 1, Sustainable Agriculture (Springer Publisher) Eds. Rafiq Lone (In Press).
36. Prerna Nath, S. J. Kale, Bharat Bhushan (2019) Consumer Acceptance and Future Trends of Non-thermal-Processed Foods. In: Non-thermal processing of Foods (Editor O.P. Chauhan), pp. 433-454 chapter 21, CRC Press.
37. Manoj Kumar Mahawar, Bhushan Bibwe, Srinivas Girjal, Kirti Jalgaonkar, Vijay Singh Meena and Bharat Bhushan (2019) Entrepreneurship development through fruit and vegetable processing. In: Agri-Entrepreneurship Challenges and Opportunities. Edited by Poonam Kashyap, A. K. Prusty. A. S. Panwar, Sunil Kumar, Peyush Punia, N. Ravisankar and Vipin Kumar. Chapter 9. Page113-132. Today & Tomorrow’s Printers and Publishers, New Delhi, India. ISBN 13 : 9788170196426
F. Technical Bulletins
38. Bhushan B and Meena VS (2015) Role of enzymes in fruit and vegetables processing. In: Technical compendium: Model Training Course. Post-Harvest Management and Value Addition of Fruits & Vegetables for Sustaining Horticulture Industry. ICAR-CIPHET, Abohar, pp 141-147.
39. Meena VS and Bhushan B (2015) Technologies for preparation of fruit preserves and candies. In: Technical compendium: Model Training Course. Post-Harvest Management and Value Addition of Fruits & Vegetables for Sustaining Horticulture Industry. ICAR-CIPHET, Abohar, pp 98-102.
• Associate editor of Journal- Insights of Enzyme Research, Advance Research in Biochemistry and Pharmacology (ADR Journal), International Journal of Chemistry, Chemical Engineering & Biotechnology (ARSEAM Journal).
• Scientific Journal Reviewer of Biotechnology for Biofuels (4), Bio-resource Technology, Food Chemistry, Process Biochemistry, International Journal of Biological Macromolecules (2), Journal of Food Science and Technology (10), Journal of Food Biochemistry (3), Journal of Food Processing and Preservation, Bio-catalysis and Biotransformation, Biochemistry and Biophysics Reports, Journal of Traditional and Complementary Medicine, PNAS India Section: Biological Sciences, Research Journal of Biotechnology, British Biotechnology Journal.