Nurturing Diversity, Resilience, Livelihood & Industrial Inputs
Working on application of molecular tools and techniques in maize improvement at ICAR-Indian Institute of Maize Research (formerly Directorate of Maize Research). Developed In-planta transformation protocol in maize. Studied the genetics of inheritance to Sesamia inferans in maize. Associated in development of single cross maize hybrids DHM121 (BH41009) and also the extension of area of cultivation of maize single cross hybrid DHM117 (BH 40625) in Bihar during both kharif and rabi season. As part of Ph.D. research developed several NILs of improved Swarna (Golden Swarna, an Indian rice cultivar) through MABB, which can accumulate total carotenoids as high as 16 μg/g of endosperm, with 85% of pro vitamin A and also studied inheritance of transgene (psy+crtI). Presently involved in characterization of Indian maize germplasm and also improvement of nutritional value of maize by using molecular markers.
Area of interest
1. Characterization of maize germplasm as part of trait discovery and diversification of existing maize germplasm to broaden the genetic base.
2. Application of molecular tools and techniques in maize improvement and accelerate genetic gain.
Most significant achievements (in last five years)
1. Developed In-planta transformation protocol in maize.
Publications in last five years
1. Kumar Ramesh, Kumar Pardeep, Kaur Yashmeet, Chikkappa G. K., Chaudhary D. P., Goyal Meenakshi, Tiwana U.S. 2018. Evaluation of maize hybrids for grain and fodder purpose. Range Management and Agroforestry. 39(2): 182-190.
2. Sunil Neelam, Srinivasa Rao Nukella, Chikkappa G Karjagi, Chandrasekhar Javaji and Om Prakash Yadav. 2019. Decision support system for efficient utilization of maize germplasm for hybrid development. Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. SP2: 501-506.
3. Ganapati Mukri, Ramesh Kumar, Ambika Rajendran, Bhupender Kumar, K. S. Hooda, Chikkappa G Karjagi, Vishal Singh, S.L Jat, Abhijit Kumar Das, J.C Sekhar, and S.B Singh. 2018. Strategic selection of white maize inbred lines for tropical adaptation and their utilization in developing stable, medium to long duration maize hybrids. Maydica. 63(2). M16, 8.
4. Vimla Singh, Bimal S. Amaradasa, Chikkappa G. Karjagi, Dilip K. Lakshman, Karambir S. Hooda, Aundy Kumar. 2018. Morphological and molecular variability among Indian isolates of Rhizoctonia solani causing banded leaf and sheath blight in maize. European journal of plant pathology. 152 (1): 45-60. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10658-018-1447-2.
5. S.B. Singh, C.G. Karjagi, K.S. Hooda, N. Mallikarjuna, S.I. Harlapur, Rajashekara H, R. Devlash, S. Kumar, R.K. Kasana, Sonu Kumar, Shivraj Singh Gangoliya, S. Rakshit. 2018. Identification of resistant sources against turcicum leaf blight of maize (Zea mays L.). Maize Journal. 7(2): 64-71.
6. Vimla Singh, Chikkappa G Karjagi, Dilip K Lakshman, Aundy Kumar, Rakesh Mehra, Meena Shekher. (2018) Phytotoxic and cross-protective effects of culture filtrate of Rhizoctonia solani isolates on Zea mays. Annals of Plant Protection Sciences. 26: 153-159.
7. Krishna, K. Murali; Chikkappa, G.K.; Singh Dangi, K.; Kulkarni, N. (2017) Quantitative inheritance of yield and its component traits in maize (Zea mays L.). SABRAO Journal of Breeding & Genetics. 49: 231-236.
8. P Lakshmi Soujanya, JC Sekhar, Chikkappa G Karjagi, V Vidhyadhari, SB Suby, N Sunil, D Sreelatha, DharamPaul Chaudhary. (2017) Impact of harvesting time on field carry over infestation of Sitophilus oryzae (L.)(Coleoptera: Curculionidae) in different maize genotypes. Phytoparasitica 45: 485-499. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12600-017-0606-x.
9. Kumar Ramesh, Chikkappa GK, Singh SB, Mukri G, Kaul J, Das AK, Sravani D, Olakh D S and Bhatia D. 2017. Multivariate Analysis for Yield and Its Component Traits in Experimental Maize Hybrids. Journal of Agricultural Science. 9(3):
10. Abhishek A, Rita K, Chikkappa GK, Kumar P, Kumar B, Dass S, Kumar RS, Ramteke PW. 2016. Tissue culture independent Agrobacterium tumefaciens mediated in planta transformation method for tropical maize (Zea mays.L). Proceedings of National Academy of Sciences, India, Section B: Biological Sciences. 86(2): 375-384. DOI 10.1007/s40011-014-0454-0
11. Yadav OP, Rai KN, Yadav HP, Rajpurohit BS, Gupta SK, Rathore A. and C.G. Karjagi. 2016. Assessment of Diversity in commercial Hybrids of Pearl Millet in India. Indian Journal of Plant Genetic Resources. 29(2): 130-136.
12. Neelam Sunil, Kaul J, Soujanya PL, Sekhar JC, Karjagi CG, and P. Kumar. 2016. Response of different maize accessions to pink stem borer Sesamia inferens Walker (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae). Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding. 7: 131-136.
13. Javaji Chandra Sekhar, Chikkappa Gangadhar Karjagi*, Bhupender Kumar, Sujay Rakshit, Lakshmi Soujanya, Pradyumn Kumar, Krishan Pal Singh, Appavoo Dhandapani, Sain Dass, and Ramanujam Sai Kumar. 2015. Genetics of resistance to Sesamia inferens infestation and its correlation with yield in maize. Plant Breeding. 134(4): 394-399.
14. P. Lakshmi Soujanya, J. C. Sekhar, Chikkappa G. Karjagi, Dharam Paul and P. Kumar. 2016. Evaluation of biophysical, anatomical and biochemical traits of resistance to Sitophilus oryzae L. (Coleoptera: Curculionidae) in stored maize. Maydica 61(1): M 8.
15. Ramesh Kumar, Jyoti Kaul, R. B. Dubey, A. Singode, Chikkappa G. K., A. Manivannan, and M. K. Debnath. 2015. Assessment of drought tolerance in maize (Zea mays L.) based on different indices. SABRAO Journal of Breeding and Genetics. 47(3): 291-298.
16. P Lakshmi Soujanya, JC Sekhar, G. K. Chikkappa, P Kumar. 2015. Differential resistance of maize germplasm to rice weevil, Stiophilus oryzac and Angoumois grain moth, Sitotroga cerealella in stored maize. Indian Journal of Plant Protection. 43(2): 143-149.
17. P. Lakshmi Soujanya, J. C. Sekhaar, G. K. Chikkappa, P. Kumar. 2015. Management of post harvest pests of maize in India through enhanced hermetic storage. International Journal of Processing and Post Harvest Technology. 6(1): 48-53.
Received Jawaharlal Nehru Award for Outstanding Doctoral Thesis Research in Agricultural and Allied Sciences” in the disciplines of Crop Science by Indian Council of Agricultural Research, New Delhi on the occasion of Foundation Day of the ICAR i.e. 16th July, 2011.