Mr. Mukesh Choudhary
Designation: Scientist Sr. Scale(Plant Breeding)
Qualification: M.Sc. (Genetics), Ph.D. (Ongoing at the University of Western Australia)
Address: ICAR-IIMR, PAU Campus, Ludhiana.
Scientist (Genetics and Plant Breeding) from Apr 11, 2016-Till date: Indian Institute of Maize Research, Ludhiana (India)
Scientist (Genetics and Plant Breeding) from Jan 1-Mar 31, 2016: National Academy of Agricultural Research Management (India)
Area of interest:
To pursue and coordinate frontier multi-disciplinary research towards genetic
improvement of crop plants to increase agricultural productivity, particularly in dryland agriculture
To pursue and conduct multi-disciplinary research towards genetic crop improvement via breeding for enhanced productivity, quality and climate resilience using integrated approach of conventional and genomics approaches
Most significant achievements (in last five years)
- Assisted in development of following released maize hybrids, , IMHQPM1530 (QPM), DMRHB1305 (Baby corn), IMHP1535 (Popcorn), IMHP1540 (Popcorn), IMHB1532 (Baby corn), IMHB 1532 (Baby corn) and IMHB1539 (Baby corn).
- Assisted in the development of country’s first provitamin-A rich maize hybrid: Pusa Vivek QPM9 Improved
- Contributed in the development of AICRP on Maize Automation System, an online resource to coordinate AICRP activities
- Initiated the fodder maize breeding project at ICAR-IIMR, Ludhiana for first time and used wild relatives (Teosinte Ssp.) to develop multi-tiller and multi-cut maize progenies
Recent Publications: (in last 5 years)
- Choudhary, M., Kumar, B., Kumar, P., Guleria, S. K., Singh, N. K., Khulbe, R., & Rakshit, S. (2019). GGE biplot analysis of genotype× environment interaction and identification of mega-environment for baby corn hybrids evaluation in India. Indian Journal of Genetics and Plant Breeding 79(4):658-669.
- Nehra, M., Kumar, M., Vart, D., Sharma, R. K., & Choudhary, M. (2016). DUS characterization and diversity assessment in pearl millet inbreds. Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding 7(4): 925-933.
- Zunjare., F. Hossain., V. Muthusamy., M. Choudhary., P. Kumar., J.C. Sekhar., S.K. Guleria., N.K. Singh., N. Thirunavukkarasu and H.S. Gupta (2015). Effects of weevil (Sitophilus oryzae) infestation on popping quality attributes of popcorn hybrids. Indian Journal of Genetics and Plant Breeding 75(4): 510-513.
- Choudhary., F. Hossain., V. Muthusamy., N. Thirunavukkarasu., S. Saha., N. Pandey., S.K. Jha and H.S. Gupta (2015). Microsatellite marker-based genetic diversity analyses of novel maize inbreds possessing rare allele of β-carotene hydroxylase (crtRB1) for their utilization in β-carotene enrichment. Journal of Plant Biochemistry and Biotechnology 25(1): 12-20.
- Muthusamy., F. Hossain., N. Thirunavukkarasu., M. Choudhary., S. Saha., J.S. Bhat., B.M. Prasanna and H.S. Gupta (2014). Development of β-carotene rich maize hybrids through marker assisted introgression of β-carotene hydroxylase allele. PLOS One 9(12): e113583.
- Choudhary., V. Muthusamy., F. Hossain., N. Thirunavukkarasu., N. Pandey., S.K. Jha and H.S. Gupta (2014). Characterization of β-carotene rich MAS-derived maize inbreds possessing rare genetic variation in β-carotene hydroxylase gene. Indian Journal of Genetics and Plant Breeding 74(4): 620-623.
- Choudhary, M., Wani, S. H., Kumar, P., Bagaria, P. K., Rakshit, S., Roorkiwal, M., & Varshney, R. K. (2019). QTLian breeding for climate resilience in cereals: progress and prospects. Functional & integrative genomics 19(5): 1-17.
- Choudhary, M., Singh, A., Gupta, M., & Rakshit, S. (2019). Enabling technologies for utilization of maize as a bioenergy feedstock. Biofuels, Bioproducts and Biorefining. 10.1002/bbb.2060
- Kumar, P., Choudhary M., Hossain, F., Singh, N., Choudhary, P., Gupta, M., Singh, V., et al. (2019). Nutritional quality improvement in maize (Zea mays): Progress and challenges. Indian Journal of Agricultural Sciences. Indian Journal of Agricultural Sciences 89(6): 895-911.
- Choudhary, M., Singh, V., Muthusamy, V., & Wani, S. H. (2017). Harnessing Crop Wild Relatives for Crop Improvement. LS: International Journal of Life Sciences 6(2): 73-85.
- Kaswan, V., Choudhary, M., Kumar, P., Kaswan, S., and Bajya, P. (2019). Green Production Strategies. In: Ferranti, P., Berry, E.M., Anderson, J.R. (Eds.), Encyclopedia of Food Security and Sustainability, vol. 1, pp. 492–500. Elsevier. ISBN: 9780128126875.
- Mukesh Choudhary, B.S. Jat, S.L. Jat, Deep Mohan Mahala and Bhupender Kumar. (2019). Quality Seed Production of Maize in Mizoram. In book: National Workshop on Scientific Maize cultivation in North East India. Aizawl, Mizoram (5 th March, 2019) pp. 26-35. ISBN: 978-93-5351-011-4. Publisher: ICAR Research complex for NEH region, Umiam, Meghalaya.
- Wani, S. H., Choudhary, M., Kumar, P., Akram, N. A., Surekha, C., Ahmad, P., & Gosal, S. S. (2018). Marker-assisted breeding for abiotic stress tolerance in crop plants. In Biotechnologies of Crop Improvement, Volume 3(pp. 1-23). Springer, Cham.
- University of Western Australia International Fees Offset Scholarship 2019
- University of Western Australia Postgraduate Award, 2019
- Best Poster Award at National Symposium on Crop Improvement for Inclusive Sustainable Development, 07-09 November, 2014, PAU, Ludhiana
- Best M.Sc. Student cum IARI Merit Medal, 2014
- Awarded CSIR-JRF/NET in Life Sciences (2014), ICAR-JRF (2012) with All India 1st Rank and ICAR-NET in Genetics and Plant Breeding (2014)