डॉ. धर्म पॉल चौधरी
Designation: प्रधान वैज्ञानिक (पादप जैवरसायन)
Qualification: B. Sc. (H.S.) in Biochemistry, M. Sc. (H.S.) in Biochemistry and Ph. D. in Biochemistry from Panjab University, Chandigarh.
Address: Room. No. 15 Indian Institute of Maize Research PAU Campus, Ludhiana, India
Fax: +91 0161 2430038
- Principal Scientist (Biochemistry) from January 27, 2016 at Indian Institute of Maize Research, Ludhiana (India)
- Senior Scientist (Biochemistry) from January 27, 2010 to January 26, 2016 at Indian Institute of Maize Research (formerly, Directorate of Maize Research), New Delhi (India)
- Biochemist from August 12, 2005 to January 26, 2010 at Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana (India)
Area of interest
To pursue research towards development of nutritionally improved maize with special emphasis of Quality Protein and Biofortified Maize
Most significant achievements (in last five years)
- Associated in the development of five maize hybrids including DMRH 1301, DMRH 1308, DMRHP 1402, IMHB 1532, IMHB 1539
- Associated in the development of eight genetic stocks including DMR QPM 103, DMR QPM 102, DMR QPM 58, DMR QPM-03-124, DQL 2105-1, DQL 2048, DML-339 and DQL-1019.
- Evaluated the storage losses of provitamin A components in maize grains.
- Evaluated the time course evaluation of protein quality parameters in maize grain.
- Established the biochemistry laboratory at IIMR Ludhiana.
Publications in last five years
- Sanjeev P., P. Chaudhary, P. Sreevastava, S. Saha, A. Rajenderan, J.C. Sekhar and G.K. Chikkappa (2014). Comparision of fatty acid profile of specialty maize to normal maize. J Am Oil Chem Soc. 91(6): 1001-1005, DOI 10.1007/s11746-014-2429-y
- Kumar R., A.K. Dass, P. Chaudhary and J. Kaul (2013). Evaluation of popcorn inbreds and correlation studies for popping and biochemical traits. Annals of Hort 6:252-259.
- Walia N. K., K. K. Sekhon, S. S. Cameotra, P. Chaudhary, P. Srivastava and A. Dutta (2014). Optimization of fermentation parameters for bioconversion of corn to ethanol using response surface methodology. J Pet Environ Biotechnol. 5:3. http://dx.doi.org/10.4172/2157-7463.1000178
- Elayaraja1 K, R. N. Gadag, J. Kumari, A. Singode and Paul (2014) Analysis of combining ability in experimental hybrids of Sweet corn (Zea mays var. saccharata). Indian J. Genet., 74(3): 387-391.
- Tiwana U.S., Kantwa S.R. and Chaudhary D.P. (2014). Effect of integrated nutrient management on productivity and economics of food fodder cropping system. Range Management & Agroforestry. 35 (1): 73-77.
- Dhillon M. K. and P. Chaudhary (2015). Biochemical interactions for antibiosis mechanisms of resistance to Chilo partellus (Swinhoe) in different maize types. Arthropod-Plant Interactions. 9:373–382 (DOI 10.1007/s11829-015-9374-z) (Impact factor: 1.179, NAAS rating 7.179)
- Agrawal V. K., R. M. Singh, J. P. Shahi, R. K. Agrawal and P. Chaudhary (2015). Inheritance of kernel quality attributes in quality protein maize (Zea mays L.). Indian J. Genet., 75(2): 201-207.
- Kumar A., J. Kumari, J. C. Rana, P. Chaudhary, R. Kumar, H. Singh, T. P. Singh and M. Dutta (2015). Diversity among maize landraces in North West Himalayan region of India assessed by agro-morphological and quality traits. Indian J. Genet., 75(2): 188-195.
- Soujanya P.L., J. C. Sekhar, C. G. Karjagi, P. Chaudhary, P. Kumar (2016). Evaluation of biophysical, anatomical and biochemical traits of resistance to Sitophilus oryzae L (Coleoptera: Curculionidae) in stored maize. Maydica. 61:1-8.
- Chaudhary D.P., A. Kumar, R. Kumar , A. Singode , G. Mukri , R. P. Sah, U. S. Tiwana and B. Kumar (2016) Evaluation of normal and specialty corn for fodder yield and quality traits. Range Mgmt. & Agroforestry 37 (1): 79-83.
- Changan S. P. Chaudhary, S. Kumar, B. Kumar, J. Kaul, S. Guleria, S.L. Jat, A. Singode, M. Tufchi, S. Langyan, O.P. Yadav (2017). Biochemical characterization of elite maize (Zea mays) germplasm for carotenoids composition. Ind. J. Agri. Sci. 87(1): 46–50.
- Soujanya P.L., J. C. Sekhar, G.K. Chikkappa, V. Vidhyadhari, S. B. Suby, N. Sunil, D. Sreelatha & D. P. Chaudhary (2017). Impact of harvesting time on field carry over infestation of Sitophilus oryzae (L.) (Coleoptera: Curculionidae) in different maize genotypes. Phytoparasitica. 45:485-499, DOI 10.1007/s12600-017-0606-x
- Dhillon M. K. and P. Chaudhary (2018). Physicochemical mechanisms of resistance in sorghum to Chilo partellus (Swinhoe). Ind. J. Exp. Biol. 56, 29-38
- Rajendran A, Chaudhary D.P., Singh N. (2018). Prospecting high oil in corn (Zea mays L.) germplasm for better quality breeding. Maydica. 1-5.
- Bhupender Kumar, Chaudhary D.P. et al (2019). Newly released high yielding single cross maize hybrids for different ecologies of India. J. Agri. Sci. 89 (2): 371–5, February 2019/Varieties
- Kumar Ramesh, Kumar Pardeep, Kaur Yashmeet, Chikkappa G. K., Chaudhary D. P., Goyal Meenakshi, Tiwana U.S. (2018). Evaluation of maize hybrids for grain and fodder purpose. Range Manag. Agroforestry. 39: 182-190.
- Mehak Sethi, Sanjeev Kumar, Alla Singh and Chaudhary D.P. (2019). Temporal profiling of essential amino acids in developing maize kernel of normal, opaque-2 and QPM germplasm. Physiology and Molecular Biology of Plants (Accepted for publication). DOI: 10.1007/s12298-019-00724-x
- Alla Singh, P. Chaudhary, Ramesh Kumar, Sujay Rakshit (2019). Analysis of granule-associated Starch branching enzyme IIb, involved in amylose extender mutation of maize. Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, 10 (4): 1581-1585.
- Sanjiv Kumar, Ramesh Kumar and P. Chaudhary (2019). Carbohydrate Metabolism in the Developing Kernel of Normal, Sweet Corn and Quality Protein Maize. Indian Journal of Agricultural Biochemistry, 32 (2): 154 to 159.
- Chaudhary D.P. and Balwinder Kumar (2017). Specialty corn: A rich source of quality fodder. In Jat S.L. et al. (). Maize Research in India: Retrospect and Prospect. ICAR-Indian Institute of Maize Research, PAU Campus, Ludhiana. ISBN 978-81-928624-2-2, pp: 459-468.
- Chaudhary D.P. (2017). Nutritional and nutraceutical/functional properties of maize (in) Achieving sustainable cultivation of maize, Watson D (ed). Burleigh Dodds series in agriculture science. pp177-185.
Fourteen years’ experience of teaching undergraduate as well as post graduate courses at Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana and Indian Agricultural Research Institute, New Delhi.
Guided one Ph. D. and two M. Sc. students of Department of Biochemistry, Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana
Fellow Indian Society of Agricultural Biochemist.
- Awarded travel grant by CIMMYT to present paper in the 12th Asian Maize Conference and Expert Consultation on “Maize for Food, Feed, Nutrition and Environment Security” held at Bangkok, Thailand from October 30-November 1, 2014
- Awarded Second Prize for oral presentation in 29th annual conference of the Research Society for the Study of Diabetes in India (RSSDI) held at Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER), Chandigarh, India from 14th to 17th December 2001.
- Awarded Young Fellow Award by the Society for Scientific Development in Agricultural and Technology on the occasion of National Symposium on Achieving Millennium Development Goals: Problem and Prospects during 25-26 October, 2009, held at Bundelkhand University, Jhansi
- Awarded Young Scientist Award by the Society for Recent Development in Agriculture during the International conference on issues for climate change, land use diversification and biotechnological tools for livelihood security held at SVPUA&T, Meerut during October 8-10, 2011.