Title of project: Identification, characterization and utilization of source of tolerance to drought and high temperature stress in maize
Project funding: Institute
Total approved cost of the project:
- Identification of sources of tolerance to drought and high temperature stress
- Characterization of morpho-physiological traits associated with drought and high temperature stress tolerance
- Utilization of promising lines in hybrid breeding program
Project team: Ishwar Singh, Sain Dass, ML jat and RP Singh
Based on the field and control environment studies source of tolerance to following abiotic stresses identified.
- Drought: LM 14, LM 16, HKI 335, HKI 577, HKI 1532, CM 139, CML 69 and BLSB_RIL-8
- High Temperature: HKI 170 (1+2), HKI 325-17AN, HKI 335, LM 12, LM 17 and CA 14514.
Morpho-physiological traits associated with drought and high temperature stress tolerance in maize identified.
- Drought: Leaf senescence, stay green character, root length, ASI and grain yield
- Heat-stress: Leaf firing, tassel blasting, ASI, Pollen viability and grain yield
Ten experimental hybrids were developed using identified source of tolerance to drought and high temperature