- Basic and strategic research aimed at enhancement of productivity and production of maize, including specialty corn.
- Coordination of multi-disciplinary and multi-location research to identify appropriate technologies for varied agro-climatic conditions.
- Dissemination of improved technologies, capacity building and developing linkages.
- Coordination of the All India Coordinated Research Project (AICRP) on Maize and to carry out extension and outreach programmes.
- To carry out basic, strategic and applied research aimed at enhancement of production and productivity of maize in the country.
- To conduct and coordinate multidisciplinary and multi-location research to identify appropriate technologies for varied agro-climatic conditions in different parts of India.
- Germplasm collection, evaluation, maintenance and its enhancement.
- To develop speciality corn cultivars such as quality protein maize, baby corn, sweet corn, bio-fuel etc. towards its diversified uses.
- To conduct training, frontline demonstrations and on-farm research to maximize and accelerate adoption of research findings and innovative technologies.
- To serve as core centre for the supply of maize research material and information.
- To develop linkages with the national, international and private sector for the collaborative research program.
- To provide consultancy services and undertake contractual research.
- Postharvest studies for value addition, quality control and storage
- To evaluate technologies and transfer it as per IP policies of ICAR