Mrs. Susmita Cherukuri
Designation: Scientist (Genetics and Plant Breeding)
Qualification: M.Sc. (Ag.) in Genetics and Plant Breeding
Address: ICAR-Indian Institute of Maize Research, Winter Nursery Center (WNC) Rajendra Nagar, Hyderabad Telangana 500030 (INDIA)
Mobile: +91 9441788945
- Scientist (Genetics and Plant Breeding) from August 29, 2022 – till date: Indian Institute of Maize Research, Winter Nursery Centre, Hyderabad (India)
- Scientist (Genetics and Plant Breeding) from June 16, 2017 – August 27, 2022: Indian Institute of Seed Science, Mau, Uttar Pradesh (India)
- Scientist (Genetics and Plant Breeding) from April 10, 2015 – June 15, 2017: Indian Institute of Horticultural Research, Bengaluru (India)
- Scientist (Genetics and Plant Breeding) from January 1 – April 9, 2015: National Academy of Agricultural Research Management, Hyderabad (India)
Most significant achievements (in last five years)
- Involved in the development of pole type, photo-sensitive dolichos variety Arka Supriya (IIHR 162-2) that was recommended for central release in India during 2017, for zones VII and VIII.
Publications in last five years
- Research papers
- Kumar, S. P., Susmita, C., Sripathy, K. V., Agarwal, D. K., Pal, G., Singh, A. N., and Simal-Gandara, J. (2022). Molecular characterization and genetic diversity studies of Indian soybean (Glycine max (L.) Merr.) cultivars using SSR markers. Molecular Biology Reports, 49(3), 2129-2140. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11033-021-07030-4
- Parakkunnel, R., Bhojaraja Naik, K., Susmita, C., Girimalla, V., Bhaskar, K. U., Sripathy, K. V., and Bhat, K. V. (2022). Evolution and co-evolution: insights into the divergence of plant heat shock factor genes. Physiology and Molecular Biology of Plants, 28, 1029-1047. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12298-022-01183-7
- Kumar, S. P., Susmita, C., Agarwal, D. K., Pal, G., Rai, A. K., and Simal-Gandara, J. (2021). Assessment of genetic purity in rice using polymorphic SSR markers and its economic analysis with grow-out-test. Food Analytical Methods, 14(5), 856-864. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12161-020-01927-9
- Susmita, C.*, Mohan, N., and Aghora, T. S. (2020). Breeding for evolution of photo-insensitive pole type vegetable dolichos (Lablab purpureus L.) varieties to suit year-round cultivation. Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, 11(02), 633-637.
- Susmita, C.*, Aghora, T. S., Mohan, N., and Bhatt, R. M. (2020). Breeding for Improvement of High Temperature Tolerance in Garden Pea (Pisum sativum L.) for off Season Cultivation. Journal of Horticultural Sciences, 15(1), 62-66. https://doi.org/10.24154/JHS.2020.v15i01.008
- Rai, A. K., Sahni, P., Agarwal, D. K., Pal, G., Susmita, C., Chintagunta, A. D., and Kumar, S. P. J. (2020). Assessment of seed deterioration mechanisms in groundnut (Arachis hypogaea L.). Indian Journal of Ecology 47(11), 181-184.
- Susmita, C.*, and Selvi, B. (2014). Genetic variability for grain iron, zinc, other nutrients and yield related traits in sorghum (Sorghum bicolor (L.) Moench). International Journal of Agricultural Science and Research (IJASR), 4(3), 91-99.
- Susmitha, C. H.*, and Selvi, B. (2014). Inter relationship among grain minerals and grain yield components in sorghum (Sorghum bicolour (L.) Moench). International Journal of Science and Research, 3, 1192-1195.
- Review papers
- Susmita, C.*, Kumar, S. J., Chintagunta, A. D., Lichtfouse, E., Naik, B., Ramya, P., and Kumar, S. (2022). Non-thermal plasmas for disease control and abiotic stress management in plants. Environmental Chemistry Letters 20, 2135-2164. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10311-022-01399-9.
- Ramtekey V, Cherukuri S*, Kumar S, V. SK, Sheoran S, K. UB, K. BN, Kumar S, Singh AN and Singh HV (2022) Seed Longevity in Legumes: Deeper Insights into Mechanisms and Molecular Perspectives. Frontiers in Plant Science 13:918206. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpls.2022.918206
- Susmita, C.*, Kumar, S. P., Chintagunta, A. D., and Agarwal, D. K. (2021). Apomixis: a foresight from genetic mechanisms to molecular perspectives. The Botanical Review, 1-37. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12229-021-09266-y
- Ramtekey, V., Cherukuri, S., Modha, K. G., Kumar, A., Kethineni, U. B., Pal, G., and Kumar, S. (2021). Extraction, characterization, quantification, and application of volatile aromatic compounds from Asian rice cultivars. Reviews in Analytical Chemistry, 40(1), 272-292. https://doi.org/10.1515/revac-2021-0137
- Book chapters
- Kumar A., Hussain T., Susmita C., Maurya D.K., Danish M. and Faroqui S.A. (2021). Microbial remediation and Detoxification of Heavy Metals by Plants and Microbes.In: The Future of Effluent Treatment Plants: Biological Treatment Systems () Shah M.P., Couto, S.R. and Mehta, K. Elsevier Inc., 589-613.
- Chapters in training manuals
In training manual for Requisites of Seed Production, Processing and Quality Assurance, published by ICAR-IISS, Mau
- Susmita C., Bhojaraja Naik, Vijayakumar, H. P., Ramesh, K. V. Ramya P. and Dinesh K. Agarwal (2020). Maintenance Breeding in Self and Cross Pollinated Crops, pp: 51-60.
In training manual for Imperatives of Seed Production, Processing and Testing: Quality Assurance Paradigm, published by ICAR-IISS, Mau
- Govind Pal, Udaya Bhaskar K., Boraiah K. M., S. P. Jeevan Kumar, Kalyani Kumari and Susmita C (2019). Economic perspectives of seed policy: Implications of indices such as SMR, pp: 141-148.
In training manual for Quality Seed Grower, published by ICAR-IISS, Mau
- Kalyani Kumari, Susmita Cherukuri, K. M. Boriah and Sunil Kanaujiya (2019). Beej Gunvatta Me Hras: Karan Evam Niyantran, pp: 44-47.
- M. Boriah, Dinesh Kumar Agarwal, Susmita Cherukuri, Anima Mahato and Soma Gupta (2019). Nabhikiy Evam Prajanak Beej Utphadan, pp: 48-58.
- Anima Mahato, K. V. Ramesh, Soma Gupta and Susmita Cherukuri (2019). Gunavattayukth Beej Utphadan Me Jalavayu Ki Mahatta: Phasal Visisth Beej Uthpadan Ke Anukul Mousami Paristhithiya, pp: 75-77.
- V. Sripathy, P. Ramya, Vishal Tyagi, S.P. Jeevan Kumar, Susmita Cherukuri and Jai Om Dwivedi (2019). Tilhani Phasalome Me Gunavakthayukth Beejothpadhan Takaneek, pp: 89-96.
In training manual for Meta-Omics based methods and techniques for understanding microbial community functions, published by ICAR-NBAIM, Mau
- Ashutosh Kumar, Susmita C., Dinesh K. Agarwal, S.P. Jeevan Kumar (2019). Recent advances in DNA sequencing methods and their applications, pp: 76-85.
In training manual for Certified Farm Advisor Programme Module II (Seed Technology) published by ICAR-IISS, Mau
- Susmita C., Kalyani Kumari and Ramya P. (2019). Factors affecting seed longevity during storage, pp: 132-135.
- Kalyani Kumari, Susmita C., Soma Gupta and Vishal Tyagi (2019). Importance of Seed Quality: Factors determining seed quality, pp: 47-50.
In training manual for Imperatives of seed production, processing and testing: Quality assurance paradigm, published by ICAR-IISS, Mau
- Kalyani Kumari, Susmita C. and Boraiah K. M (2019). Requisites of breeder seed production in wheat, pp: 22-25.
- Susmita C. Kalyani Kumari and Ramya P (2019). Molecular insights of seed longevity, pp: 41-44.
- Extension folders
- Kalyani Kumari, Govind Pal, Vishal Tyagi, Susmita C., Gopi Kishan and Asha Jyothi (2019). “Arhar ka bharpur beej uthpadan” (Publication/ 2019/ 05)
- Vishal Tyagi, Govind Pal, Kalyani Kumari, Jeevan Kumar, Anima Mahato and Susmita C. (2019). “Sarson Ki Bheej Uthpadan Tatneek” (Publication/2019/ 08)
- Technical Bulletin/ Popular articles
- Kalyani Kumari, Vishal Tyagi, Sripathy K. V., Udaya Bhaskar, Susmita C. and Banoth Vinesh (2021). Tetrazolium Test for Seed Viability Testing. Krishisewa Crop varieties/1360: 1-9.
- Sanjay Kumar, Arvind Nath Singh, Kalyani Kumari, Kuldip, Vishal Tyagi, Gopi Kishan, Susmita C, Soma Gupta, Deepanshu Jayaswal, Banoth Vinesh, Vinita Ramtekey, Dhanya VG, Udaya Bhaskar Kethineni, Bhojaraja Naik K, Sripathy KV, Ramya P, Shantharaja CS, Vanishree G, Aravindan S, Anjitha George (2021). ICAR-IISS, Mau at a glance published by ICAR-IISS, Mau, U.P., pp: 1-16.
- Kalyani Kumari, Susmita Cherukuri, K. M. Boriah, Udaya Bhaskar K., Sripathy K.V. and Sunil Kanaujiya (2019). Beej Gunwatta Niyantran. Prasar Patrika, pp: 16-18.
- Kalyani Kumari, D. Raghavendra, K. V. Ramesh, Susmita Cherukuri, Abhishek Rai, Sudhir Singh and Nisha Singh (2019). Neem Sarvottam Keetnashak. Prasar Patrika, pp: 50-51.
- Kalyani Kumari, Susmita C., Uday Bhaskar and Arun Chaturvedi (2019). Phal Evam Sabjiyon Dwara Poshak Tatvom Ki Aapurthi. Beej Patrika, pp: 47-49.
- Secretary, Seed Extension Education and Development Society (SEEDS) operated by ICAR-IISS, Mau, U.P.
- Reviewer of Journal of Horticultural Sciences since December, 2020.
- Awarded with best poster (2 no.) in National Symposium on Vegetable Legumes for Soil and Human Health, organized at ICAR-IIVR, Varanasi 2016.
- N. Nadarajan award for best student in Quantitative genetics, 2014.
- TNAU first rank holder during post-graduation in the department of Center for Plant Breeding & Genetics (CPBG) for 2013.
- Selected for INSPIRE fellowship sponsored by Dept. of Science and Technology, New Delhi, 2014.